Severe Injuries Can Occur at Childbirth
Childbirth is dangerous, both for the mother and baby. When things go well, it is a joyous occasion. Sadly, there are cases in which complications arise, and birth injuries can result in either the mother or the child, due to a failure to provide the accepted standard of care. Mistakes made by physicians can create serious problems for a baby or the mother during the birth process. There are various actions that could allow a claim to be filed to recover compensatory damages, including the following:
- A failure to carefully monitor the condition of the baby, or the mother;
- A failure to use the appropriate treatments or procedures, as another similar medical professional would have under the same circumstances;
- A failure to identify risks, diagnose and treat any complications;
- A failure to get assistance by consulting a specialist if the case indicates this is necessary;
- A failure to explain, present and obtain informed consent before a medical treatment or emergency medical intervention.
One of the most common and dangerous situations that can lead to permanent injury is when the baby is deprived of oxygen, due to a compressed or twisted umbilical cord. If the baby is in an unusual position, this can lead to the need for emergency measures, and nerves can be damaged, resulting in brachial plexus injuries, Erb’s palsy, Klumpke’s palsy, paralysis, either temporary or permanent, brain damage, cerebral palsy and fractures. Contact Welcenbach Law Offices, S.C. and discuss your case. We are advocates for the injured and should evaluate your situation immediately.