What Should You Do in the Moments After a Car Accident?
January 30, 2015
Being involved in a car accident is a scary experience that no one can prepare for. One minute you’re going about your day, and the next you’re violently shaken and forced to deal with the fallout of an accident. Most drivers are involved in an accident at some point, and if they’re lucky, they walk away unscathed. But accidents also have serious consequences, such as severe injury or death, and whether or not it’s clear who’s to blame, one or both parties often take legal action. It’s crucial that you take the right steps immediately after an accident to ensure that you have every necessary piece of information for an insurance claim for or a possible lawsuit.
You should first notify the police about the accident and request emergency responders if anyone appears to be injured. After you notify the police, gather the following information:
- The physical state of the other driver and his or her passengers
- The other driver’s license and insurance information
- Whether the other driver is accepting blame
- Any damage to the other driver’s car that was present before the accident
- The time and date of the accident
- The cause of the accident
- The weather and traffic conditions at the time of the accident
- The damage the accident caused both cars
After the police arrive, you should ask an officer the following questions:
- Did anyone involved need medical attention?
- Was the other driver operating under the influence of alcohol or another substance?
- Does the other driver have valid insurance?
- Am I being charged with a criminal offense?
Once you have completed these steps, you can decide whether you will need the help of attorney in the aftermath of the accident. Whether you’re seeking compensation for damages to your car or person, or you’re being charged with a criminal offense, it helps to a skilled and experienced attorney in your corner. If you’ve been involved in an accident and need legal assistance, contact Welcenbach Law Offices to schedule a free consultation with a Milwaukee car accident attorney.