How to be admitted as a Pro Hac Vice Lawyer in Wisconsin

May 27, 2018

Are you an out of state attorney looking for local counsel or co-counsel in Milwaukee or Waukesha, Wisconsin so you can be admitted Pro Hac Vice? In this video, I discuss the steps necessary for you to be able to do that.

The first step is to file an application with the Wisconsin Office of Lawyer Regulation. This is form CA-180 and it’s a basic application indicating that you’re admitted to practice in another state; that you’re in good standing; and it’s going to ask you how many times you’ve been admitted Pro Hac Vice in Wisconsin prior to this application.

Once you’ve completed the form, mail the application to the Office of Lawyer Regulation at 110 East Main Street Suite 315 in Madison, Wisconsin.

There is a $250.00 fee as well and it must be paid by three separate checks. One is for $100 payable to the Office of Lawyer Regulation, one for $100 payable to the Wisconsin Trust Account Foundation, Inc. (WisTAF) and the last for $50 payable to the Wisconsin Access to Justice Commission (WATJC).

Once the Office of Lawyer Regulation approves the application, they’re going to send you back a file stamp copy of that. The next step is to check the local circuit court rules for the jurisdiction you want to be admitted to.

Typically most circuit courts are going to allow your admission on a simple filing of a notice of motion in motion, an affidavit of local counsel, and a proposed order without a hearing. This is true for Milwaukee County and Waukesha County, two of the largest counties in Wisconsin.

The rules require that local counsel stay active and involved in the case. The application only applies to the individual case that you’re being admitted for.

If you have any other questions on how to be admitted, you can find more information at the Wisconsin Court System site or feel free to e-mail us or call one of our Milwaukee and Waukesha personal injury lawyers at (414) 774-7330.